Explorers Program Features
TCDN’s Explorer program provides an additional learning experience before or after the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District part day Kindergarten. The Explorer program features:
• A bright, spacious environment, designed with children’s interests in mind
• Independent activity choices that value play and socialization
• Emergent Curriculum topics influenced by the children
• Opportunities to extend reading, writing and numeracy learning in a meaningful way
• Exceptional teachers, respectful of a child’s unique nature and style of learning
Children receive caring support as they practice social skills and participate in activities involving reading, writing, math, science, nature, art and critical thinking – all planned around projects and areas of interest to children. The daily schedule includes time for outside activities and stories.
Connection to School
Teachers are familiar with the school district curriculum and incorporate opportunities to extend learning that happens in school. Reading and writing skills (incorporating Handwriting Without Tears model) are practiced in regular journal-writing and, as occasions arise, in meaningful ways through play and project exploration. Literacy and numeracy concepts (comprehension, new vocabulary, graphing, etc.) are reinforced in Explorer activities. Explorer teachers communicate with kindergarten teachers when necessary, and complete a developmental progress report two times a year. Families are also offered an opportunity for a conference two times a year to talk with Explorer teachers.
Service to others is an ongoing value communicated to children, both through relationships within the program, and with members of the outside community. Children learn about service-oriented professions.